Monday, February 14, 2011

How I met your mother hitting home

CBS' series how I met your mother is inside my brain. Marshall's dad died two episodes ago and Marshall has been back home with his mom. Tonight Ted came to talk with him and Marshall made a determination that it was time to go back to NY. "It's time to go back to real life"...my question is why? Why must Marshall go back to reality after only two episodes? I know it's TV and everything must be accelerated, but can't he grieve for at least four episodes? Losing a parent means having to grow up...I hate that. When my grandma died in 1999, I remember my mom telling me she was now an orphan. Both parents gone and here she was the mother of two grown daughters and feeling incredibly abandoned. At any age when you lose a parent, you are the child left behind. I want to wrap my arms around that child and protect her. I don't like to see her sad. She has to be sad. She has to feel. She needs to. So let her ride the wave. There is an end. It's not after two episodes...it's definitely not at eleven months...

My point is, you don't have to determine when grieving is done...especially in the throws of it. Just let it flow through you. Surround yourself with love. Tolerate nothing less than kindness and understanding...if you cannot get it from your environment...give it at least to yourself...to your inner child. She needs you now more than ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment